Danger! High Voltage in Marcus Garvey Park
(Despite the coming bad puns on the 2003 Electric Six single Danger! High Voltage, this post does address the serious condition of errant electrified ground in Marcus Garvey Park. As a reader points out, this is a consistent problem for dogs, and a real potential hazard for children.)
Fire in the disco? Of course, and we don't need no water.
Fire in the Taco Bell? 89 cent Cheesy Double Beef Burrito. Done.
But Danger! Danger! High Voltage! in Marcus Garvey Park? This is not my desire.
Harlem Fur reader Mickey writes in about the electrical burns one of his sister's dogs suffered from walking in Marcus Garvey Park.
Recently we noticed one of them had sores on her paws so we took her to the vet and the vet said they were electrical burns likely sustained from manhole covers or exposed wires.
We walk our dogs in Marcus Garvey Park so we next spoke with the parks workers who told us it happens "all the time". We were horrified! The workers said that the reason we don't hear about it is because it is only reported if the dogs get killed and thankfully no dogs have died at MGP, yet!
What sucks is at least one dog has died due to errant voltage, and it has been over a year since this happened. So you think this would have been resolved.
in June of 2007, New York Post reporter Denise Buffa's 100-pound Italian mastiff Mushy died from a Marcus Garvey Park electrical shock. 100 pounds is no small animal. As was pointed out at the time, there are a lot of kids and dogs running around the park who weigh much less than 100 pounds.
Mickey is looking to connect with other pet owners who have had similar problems. The idea is to approach the city and ConEd in full force. It's not as much as a shameless plug as it could be, but if you want to connect up, the Harlem Fur network (also liked via the box in the upper right) is a place to start.